Monday, April 24, 2017

Foundations: Becoming Aware

Instead of writing a blog post about what I learned in class on a certain day, I'm going to discuss a trend that I have noticed since starting OT school...there are SO MANY WAYS the human body can go haywire.  Like any other educated adult, I was aware of various diseases or disabilities that happen in the human body; however I was not faced with the gravity of it all until coming to UT.  It is so remarkable to me that any of us have gotten this far without some sort of catastrophic disease/disability.  It is a miracle that most of us were born without a congenital disease; but even so, there are many other diseases out there that can plague the human body during the lifespan.  We take our health for granted every single day.  How lucky are we to be able to come to school and learn about OT!  We need to be thankful for the health of ourselves and our loved ones every single day.  As a future practitioner, I think this realization will help me because it has caused me to become aware of the fragility of human health and how it affects our clients.  I can look at their situation and not pity them...instead I will understand that this could truly happen to anyone, including myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment