Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Foundations: Universal Design

As far as theories go, my favorite so far has been the Universal Design Theory.  I never realized how much of our everyday experiences are linked to helping people with disabilities.  It did not occur to me that automatic doors and automatic soap dispensers were made to accommodate those who have trouble getting around in the world we live in.  I thought those things were made to make our lives more convenient! It is true that this type of equipment does make everyone’s lives easier, but that is not the point here.  This kind of mindset I had just proves that able-bodied individuals often have issues with relating to those people with disabilities and understanding the everyday obstacles that they must overcome.  Understanding Universal Design Theory has given me a new lens in which to look at my world.  I will now notice if something is disability-friendly or if it is not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment