Friday, April 14, 2017

Foundations: Thoughts on Clinical Observation

Clinical observation is the most intimidating part of the OT process, in my opinion.  For example, I am considering working in pediatrics when I become a practitioner.  When I imagine myself doing a clinical observation of the child, I am worried that I will be able to accomplish it successfully.  It seems rather difficult trying to juggle interaction with the child while taking note of their performance.  Not to mention, you have to document everything you see! I am worried that I will either forget something the child did or I will be too focused on documenting what the child is doing that it affects the way I interact with that child.  I understand the process is an art that will be refined with practice, but that is just how I feel at this point in my career as an OT student.

1 comment:

  1. All natural feelings, Caroline. We are so fortunate at UTHSC to have the RKS clinic and connections with so many full-time clinicians who serve as fieldwork educators in the field. Getting involved at RKS and going out on your first Level I fieldwork in Sept. will be another step towards developing your clinical skills.

    ReplyDelete