Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Dementia: Ruby Jewel Bowen

Today I presented on the story of my grandmother, Ruby.  It was a really positive experience altogether: my peers seemed interested in her story and asked great questions as well.  Dementia is such an interesting topic to discuss because there isn't just one diagnosis that is attached to it.  Ruby had Alzheimer's disease, which is the most common form of dementia there is.  What I got out of doing this report was that I used my "OT think" to solve problems that a loved one faced.  It helped me practice putting myself into my client's shoes because I was close to her personally.  As occupational therapists, we need to empathize and understand what our clients are going through.  If we think about the challenging parts in our lives and relate that feeling when we are working as OTs, we will better understand their struggles and pains.

No comments:

Post a Comment