Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Main Take-Away from Foundations

Main Take-Away from Foundations

As obvious as it may seem, the most important thing I have gained from this course is understanding the OT Domain & Process in the OTPF.  Even though the document itself is long and kind of dry, it is an integral part in our profession.  Before this course, I did not know occupations were split up into categories of ADLs, iADLS, work, education, etc.  I thought occupations was just a blanket term to cover everything we do in life.  I also did not know that we place emphasis on client factors, performance patterns, context & environment, etc.  The domain of OT is definitely the most strange thing that become familiar to me in this course.  I knew there was an OT process before taking this course (and I had a rough idea of the components in it), but I learned that it is not as cut and dry as I had once thought.  In this case, the familiar became strange to me.  I thought evaluation, intervention, and outcomes were more simple than they actually are.  I did not know about occupational profiles, client interviews, adjustment of intervention, and so on. I'm glad I understand the OTPF now because it seemed very overwhelming to me when we were talking about it in our Evidence-Based Practice course.  Thank you for making it a lot less intimidating!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the feedback, Caroline! I have thoroughly enjoyed having you as a member of this class. (And I love the familiar to strange part of your post!)

    ReplyDelete